Public Health




Prior to contacting the Health Department, you must keep the lines of communication open by expressing your concerns to your landlord. If they don't know the problem exists they can't fix it. Our office requires tenants to send a letter by certified mail prior to any involvement from us.

The letter should include the following 3 things:

  1. Problem- Outline the specific problem you would like fixed (mold, leaks, something broken, etc.)
  2. Solution- Indicate the solution you want to fix the problem, such as washing off the mold, repairing the water leak, and repairing a broken window
  3. Time- Give the landlord a specific amount of time to fix the problem. Remember, the time frame will depend upon what solution you are seeking. It will take longer to remove and replace drywall for a mold issue than it will to wash the mold off. Be realistic with the amount of time you request.

Sign, date and make a copy of the letter. Send it certified mail with a return receipt requested.

If the landlord is uncooperative or unresponsive to your letter and does not remedy the situation within the time frame, contact the Trempealeau County Health Department at 715-538-2311 extension 220. Before you contact the health department make sure you have a copy of the letter and the return receipt.

Additional Resources

Tenants Rights and Responsibilities

Wisconsin Way ~ A guide for Landlords and Tenants

CHAPTER 704 ~ Landlord and Tenant

Room 226
36245 Main Street
P.O. Box 67
Whitehall, WI 54773

(715) 538-2311 ext. 220
(715) 538-4861


Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Closed Major Holidays

Barb Barczak
Director of Public Health
Health Officer
Trempealeau County