Trempealeau County
Human Services

PO Box 67
Whitehall WI, 54773-0067
( 715) 538-2311 Ext. 290
Fax: (715) 538-4274

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Economic Support

 Our Mission

Our mission is to administer public assistance programs, provide services and resources for individuals and families in order to obtain self sufficiency and ensure their well being.

Child Care - A child care subsidy is provided to employed parents who meet program and income eligibility.  Parents must use a regulated provider and receive an authorization for reimbursement.  Child care initial certification, review and changes are administered through Western Region for Economic Assistance at 1-888-627-0430.  The Economic Support Unit at Human Services processes on-going child care authorizations.

Child Care Certification - Child care certification establishes standards for child care providers to promote the health, safety and welfare of the children in their care.  Regulation of a child care provider assures that the home, legal background, health and physical site are within specific guidelines.  If you are interested in becoming a certified child care provider, please contact Buffalo County at 608-685-6319 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday.

FoodShare (FS) - The FoodShare Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to assist low-income individuals and families obtain a more nutritious diet.  FoodShare replaced the Food Stamp Program in Wisconsin on October 15, 2004.  For more information, contact Western Region for Economic Assistance at 1-888-627-0430 or visit

Medical Assistance - The Medical Assistance Program provides health care benefits to individuals and families who meet financial, health, or age requirements.  There are several different types of Medical Assistance programs available with varying eligibility requirements.  For more information on eligibility, please call Western Region for Economic Assistance at 1-888-627-0430.

Resource Guide

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) - WHEAP assists eligible households with their heating expenses.  If you are interested in applying, please call Trempealeau County Human Services at 715-538-2311 Ext. 290 or 1-877-538-2311 Ext. 290, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday.

Websites of Interest


Medical Assistance

Child Care

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance