If you wish to record legal documents affecting real estate
such as deeds, land contracts, mortgages, satisfactions and assignments, you
will need to use a form which conforms to the Wisconsin standard
document format. Most office supply firms offer forms which do
meet the requirements of Wisconsin Statute 59.43(2m).
Use of the standard document format helps to assure that
important pieces of information are not inadvertently omitted, that the document
is legible, and that it is properly indexed. Use of the standard document
format also makes processing and retrieval more efficient.
Most states in the Midwest require some type of standard
document format. If you are from a state outside of Wisconsin, you may add
a cover-sheet to your document to make it conform to the Wisconsin standard
document format. You can print or type the document title and return
address, in the proper locations and attach the cover-sheet to the front
of your document so that it becomes the first page.
Contact this office at (715) 538-2311 Ext 214 to request a
copy of the cover letter,
Requirements of the standard document format are as follows:
- The upper right hand corner of the document must be completely blank (at
least 3" by 3") for our official recording stamp.
- The name and return address must be either (1) directly under the
recording area, or (2) on the left side of the page and within the top 3
- The title of the document must be within the top 3 inches of the page but
not in the 3 by 3 inch corner left blank for our recording stamp.
- Title, parties, return address and legal description. The document
must be legible and reproducible.
- The paper is white, standard weight, and letter or legal-sized.
- The ink is black so that the document will scan properly.
- The top margin is a minimum of 1/2 inch for every page. Other
margins are minimum of 1/4 inch.
- The pages are not hinged.
Remember, you still need:
- Complete legal descriptions if the document refers to specific parcels of
- Original signatures notarized or authenticated.
- Proper fees accompanying the document.
- Name of the document drafter.
- Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return (completed and with proper fee or
exemption #) for deeds and land contracts. http://www.dor.state.wi.us/.